Articles on this Page
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Dispatch Blotter
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Star party set for ...
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Deadline looms for ...
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Purchases follow bu...
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Herman Park on display
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Heritage celebrated...
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Recent weather wrec...
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Good start reported...
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Polio fundraiser se...
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Dems gather food Sa...
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Business briefs: Au...
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Big pumpkin party s...
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Lanternfly on most-...
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Some tips to get st...
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Building habitat on...
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Bingham looks at re...
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Septic inspection e...
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Two earn Eagle rank
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Looking Back...
- 10/17/18--13:45: _Island people adapt...
- 10/17/18--13:45: Dispatch Blotter
- 10/17/18--13:45: Star party set for Sunday
- 10/17/18--13:45: Deadline looms for contest entries
- 10/17/18--13:45: Purchases follow budget adoption
- 10/17/18--13:45: Herman Park on display
- 10/17/18--13:45: Heritage celebrated in Empire
- 10/17/18--13:45: Recent weather wrecks fishing
- 10/17/18--13:45: Good start reported on fundraising
- 10/17/18--13:45: Polio fundraiser set in Suttons Bay
- 10/17/18--13:45: Dems gather food Saturday
- 10/17/18--13:45: Business briefs: Autumn offerings all over
- 10/17/18--13:45: Big pumpkin party set in G-A
- 10/17/18--13:45: Lanternfly on most-wanted list
- 10/17/18--13:45: Some tips to get started
- 10/17/18--13:45: Building habitat one seed at a time
- 10/17/18--13:45: Bingham looks at rental regs
- 10/17/18--13:45: Septic inspection eyed in Cleveland
- 10/17/18--13:45: Two earn Eagle rank
- 10/17/18--13:45: Looking Back...
- 10/17/18--13:45: Island people adapt after ships go to coal
Wednesday, Oct. 10 9:53 a.m. — Suttons Bay Township — Miscellaneous juvenile activity. 10:38 a.m. — Kasson Township — Miscellaneous juvenile activity. 11:53 a.m. — Leland Township — Suspicious activity. 1:22 p.m. — Suttons Bay Township — Miscellaneous juvenile activity. 8:19 p.m.
The Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is the “star” of an upcoming event in the autumn night sky Sunday in celebration of the park’s 48th anniversary.
Park rangers and astronomers from the Grand Traverse Astronomical Society will be in the Dune Climb parking lot from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. for the final Star Party of 2018.
Yes, that was snow you saw Monday morning.
The first “measurable” snowfall of the season came in at .10 at the National Weather Service observation site in Maple City.
The Leelanau County Board of Commissioners acted on a slate of issues at its Statutory Annual Meeting last week, having discussed the issues in detail during its executive meeting the week before.
In unanimous votes of commissioners present at the Oct. 9 meeting, the County Board:
Friends of Herman Community Park, members of the Suttons Bay Township Parks and Recreation Committee and the Township Board were holding an open house at the park Wednesday evening – weather permitting.
The Empire Heritage Museum celebrated its 46th anniversary Saturday by hosting Heritage Day at the museum complex in downtown Empire.
Pleasantly crisp fall temperatures kept hundreds of visitors moving around the complex, enjoying freshly made apple cider and other treats as they viewed historic displays and demonstrations.
Inconsistent weather isn’t just ruining hunting plans.
Fishing out on Lake Leelanau has produced many perch, but the walleye continue to be up and down with the weather warming up and cooling down.
“The lake is still warm,” avid fisherman Greg Alsip said. “The next few weeks should be better for fishing on the lake for walleye.”
This year’s Leelanau UnCaged was a success in many ways. One of those successes was the fund raiser for the Northport Veteran’s Memorial that John Mitchell held during UnCaged.
Suttons Bay - Leelanau County Rotarians will mark World Polio Day next week with a fundraiser in Suttons Bay.
Club members will be in front of the Bay Theatre from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday collecting donations to support Rotary International’s 27-year mission to eradicate polio worldwide.
World Polio Day is next Wednesday, Oct. 25.
The Leelanau County Democratic Party will be collecting donations and food Saturday in Suttons Bay an Leland.
Members will be at Hansen Foods in Suttons Bay and the Mercantile in Leland from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
All donations will go to the Leelanau Christian Neighbors Food Pantry.
[img_assist|nid=211315|title=|desc= STAFF FROM Chemical Bank volunteered time Monday, Oct. 8, “Chemical Cares Day” painting offices at the new location of the Leelanau Montessori Public School Academy. The new school facility in Lake Leelanau is expected to ready for students by the end of the calendar year.
Colors abound! I’m not sure how long they are going to last because as of this writing it’s cold and rainy and going to be windy. So once again the colors might be on the ground rather than in the trees, but enjoy them all weekend.
It’s not just people relocating to Leelanau County.
Dreaming of a butterfly-filled yard and garden? Consider planting milkweed - the exclusive host plant for the monarch butterfly caterpillar. Follow these simple steps for growing milkweed on your property.
1. Put seeds into a small bowl and bring out to planting area.
2. Clear away any mulch or rocks which could potentially block the growth of a small seedling.
[img_assist|nid=211308|title=|desc= GLEN LAKE 9th grade biology students spread milkweed seeds in trays to plant in the school greenhouse. Pictured, from left, are Nick Cirka-Lewis, Xavier Killeen and Ricky Mendoza. The sprouted milkweed will be planted outside in April.
In response to requests from township residents, the Bingham Township Board may consider adopting a “short term rental ordinance” similar to one adopted last year in neighboring Suttons Bay Township.
A new ordinance requiring inspection of septic systems whenever a property is sold in Cleveland Township will be the subject of a public hearing just prior to the next regular monthly meeting of the township Planning Commission.
Two Suttons Bay seniors have joined the ranks of Eagle Scouts.
Henry Heitman and Erik Halvorsen were awarded the honor last week. They are members of Boy Scout Troop 131, which meets at Keswick United Methodist Church in Bingham Township.
5 YEARS AGO October 17, 2013
The following is story and photos are taken from Kathleen Craker Firestone’s “The Fox Islands North and South.”