Articles on this Page
- 12/05/18--13:15: _Perles resigns from...
- 12/05/18--13:15: _Slow down Ironman
- 12/05/18--13:15: _U.S. lags in life i...
- 12/05/18--13:15: _Leelanau icon will ...
- 12/05/18--13:15: _Heard around Leelanau
- 12/05/18--13:15: _Legend of Leg Lamp ...
- 12/05/18--13:15: _Shining stars dimmed
- 12/05/18--13:15: _Leelanau County Cal...
- 12/05/18--13:15: _County Dates
- 12/05/18--13:15: _Public Notices For ...
- 12/05/18--13:15: _George C. Weeks
- 12/05/18--13:15: _WILFRED (BILL) LEON...
- 12/05/18--13:15: _DONALD E. SCHWENDEMANN
- 12/05/18--13:15: _BERNARD C. RINK
- 12/05/18--13:15: _SHIRLEY BAILLIE
- 12/05/18--13:15: _JOSEPH A. SHIMEK
- 12/05/18--13:15: _Communities nix rec...
- 12/05/18--13:15: _G-L teachers reject...
- 12/05/18--13:15: _County loses icons
- 12/05/18--13:14: _Photo
- 12/05/18--13:15: Perles resigns from MSU board; a back story?
- 12/05/18--13:15: Slow down Ironman
- 12/05/18--13:15: U.S. lags in life index
- 12/05/18--13:15: Leelanau icon will be missed
- 12/05/18--13:15: Heard around Leelanau
- 12/05/18--13:15: Legend of Leg Lamp continues at Campbells
- 12/05/18--13:15: Shining stars dimmed
- 12/05/18--13:15: Leelanau County Calendar of Events
- 12/05/18--13:15: County Dates
- 12/05/18--13:15: Public Notices For Leelanau County
- 12/05/18--13:15: George C. Weeks
- 12/05/18--13:15: WILFRED (BILL) LEONARD HOLSATHER
- 12/05/18--13:15: DONALD E. SCHWENDEMANN
- 12/05/18--13:15: BERNARD C. RINK
- 12/05/18--13:15: SHIRLEY BAILLIE
- 12/05/18--13:15: JOSEPH A. SHIMEK
- 12/05/18--13:15: Communities nix recreational pot
- 12/05/18--13:15: G-L teachers reject contract
- 12/05/18--13:15: County loses icons
- 12/05/18--13:14: Photo
The intriguing thing about politics is that more often than not, the stories you read are not always the full story. What you see may not be what is really going on because for one reason or another, certain “facts” are often omitted which brings us to the departure of 84 yearold George Perles from the MSU Board of Trustees.
To the editor:
Promoters of the Ironman race are pushing for a discussion on race routes. This is putting the cart before the horse.
The continuous nature of the Ironman will, regardless of route, necessarily close off West Bay Shore, M-72, M-22, the already bottlenecked portals to, and heavily traveled byways of, our peninsula.
To the editor:
To the editor:
Northern Michigan lost an Icon, a Pioneer, a Mentor.
John and I both worked for Bernie, at Boskydel vineyard, in the early nineties. We settled in Leelanau County to open our little cheese factory because of the few existing wineries, just a hand full at the time.
“When someone is in need, the community comes together to help.”
— Robin Vilter said, regarding the response to the death of Daniel Case — the second death in the family in a one-month period.
The Leg Lamp.
No other secular object associated with Christmas elicits the emotional punch I get from the leg lamp.
It represents a family tradition that surpasses socks hung on the fireplace mantle and the hanging of Christmas lights.
Leelanau County — and America — will need to dig deep to replace points of light that are moving to their final resting places.
Gone are Dean Robb, Bernie Rink, George Weeks, Don Schwendemann and Fred Petroskey, all contributors of the highest sort to the places they lived and loved.
Organizations wishing to have their public events listed in this calendar can email Amy Hubbell at firstname.lastname@example.org or call The Enterprise, 256-9827, before 5 p.m. Friday.
10 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. — Beginner Tai Chi Class (free); Leelanau Township Fire Hall, Northport.
BAYSIDE TRAVELLERS TO MEET
Grab your dancin’ shoes and dish to pass Saturday and head to the Bayside Travellers Traditional Dance Society’s holiday potluck and dance from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at the Solon Township hall.
Michigan law requires local governments to inform their citizenry through public notices published in newspapers of record for their communities. These notices provide residents with an easy path for following the work of their elected officials. Public notices for Leelanau County can also be accessed online at Leelanaunews.com.
George C. Weeks of Glen Arbor, nationally known political columnist, died Friday.
He was 86.
Arrangements are pending at Reynolds-Jonkhoff Funeral Home and Cremation Services.
Wilfred (Bill) Leonard Holsather, 83, of Midland, died Saturday, Dec. 1, 2018 at his home. He was born July 8, 1935, in Suttons Bay (MI), son of the late Borger and Alma (Everson) Holsather.
SUTTONS BAY – Donald E. Schwendemann died Saturday, Nov. 24, 2018 at home.
He was born in Otho, Iowa on May 21, 1919 on his great grandfather Lundgren’s farm. Don was the son of Francis and Mildred (Lundgren) Schwendemann.
LAKE LEELANAU – Leelanau County wine pioneer Bernie Rink, died Nov. 29, 2018, surrounded by family and friends. He was 92.
Shirley Allison Baillie, 93, of Zanesville, Ohio and Lake Leelanau, Michigan passed away November 30, 2018 at the Oaks at Northpointe.
Maple City - Joseph A. Shimek died peacefully November 29th, at the Cherry Hill Haven in Traverse City after a lengthy battle with Parkinson’s disease, dementia, and more recently pneumonia.
Local units of government throughout Leelanau appear to be eager to “opt out” of allowing commercial marijuana related establishments and marijuana facilities anywhere near them.
A state mediator may be brought in to help the Glen Lake Board of Education and the teacher’s union come to a contract agreement.
Some 45 staff members gathered last Thursday night in Maple City to discuss the loss of more than 19 staff members in the past two years — including the food service director, elementary principal and a janitor in the past two weeks.
There were far too many reasons for Leelanau County residents to fly their flags at half-mast this week.
Dean Robb, a well-known civil rights lawyer and longtime Suttons Bay resident, died Dec. 2 at the age of 94.
George Weeks, a nationally-recognized columnist and longtime Glen Arbor resident, died Nov. 30 at the age of 86.
PIPER MAZUREK makes a stocking at the Cedar Area Community Foundation Make and Take event Sunday while her mother, Jessica Moers looks on. See coverage Sect. 2, Pg. 16.