Articles on this Page
- 11/07/18--15:52: _100th Armistice Day...
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Looking Back...
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Catholics in Empire...
- 11/07/18--15:52: _96 hunters explore ...
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Switch flips for wh...
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Boating class set
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Snowmobile safety c...
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Neighbors concerned...
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Montessori building...
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Photo
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Leelanau Business B...
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Cedar area to host ...
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Safe Halloween repo...
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Talk About Art set ...
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Author to speak at ...
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Photo
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Elmwood meeting ton...
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Illegal dumping inv...
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Photo
- 11/07/18--15:52: _Alcohol involved in...
- 11/07/18--15:52: 100th Armistice Day observed
- 11/07/18--15:52: Looking Back...
- 11/07/18--15:52: Catholics in Empire: first Masses in homes
- 11/07/18--15:52: 96 hunters explore North Manitou Island
- 11/07/18--15:52: Switch flips for whitetail rut as bucks start to chase down does
- 11/07/18--15:52: Boating class set
- 11/07/18--15:52: Snowmobile safety course on Dec. 1
- 11/07/18--15:52: Neighbors concerned about Bingham project
- 11/07/18--15:52: Montessori building progressing well
- 11/07/18--15:52: Leelanau Business Briefs
- 11/07/18--15:52: Cedar area to host vendors
- 11/07/18--15:52: Safe Halloween reported
- 11/07/18--15:52: Talk About Art set for Sunday
- 11/07/18--15:52: Author to speak at G-L library
- 11/07/18--15:52: Elmwood meeting tonight to touch on Noverr lawsuit
- 11/07/18--15:52: Illegal dumping investigated
- 11/07/18--15:52: Alcohol involved in two separate arrests
This year marks a very special Veterans Day celebration. November 11 is the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I. The major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, when the Armistice with Germany went into effect.
5 YEARS AGO November 7, 2013
The following excerpts and photo are taken from “Some Other Day- Remembering Empire” second edition, 1987 published by the Empire Area Heritage Group.
Going to church in the early days By Susan Doran Carry
It didn’t take long for Wyatt McCoy of Lake Leelanau to take down a trophy buck in the North Manitou Island deer hunt.
McCoy shot his 10-point buck 10 minutes into the hunt, which ran from Oct. 27 through Saturday.
A switch turned on over the past few days, turning what had been considered an uneventful deer season into excitement for archery hunters — and drivers.
The Coast Guard Auxiliary Traverse City will host a boater safety class next week at the Coast Guard Air Station.
“About Boating Safety” will cover safety procedure and equipment, navigational rules and aids, boating regulations, and charting.
The Michigan State University Extension and the Cedar Hilltoppers Snowmobile Club will host a 4-H Snowmobile Safety Course, Saturday Dec. 1 in Cedar.
The class, for youth age 12 to 15, covers safe machine operations, first aid and the law.
A plan to build three storage buildings totaling more than 22,000 square-feet in size on a 2.6-acre parcel on the corner of Bingham Road and Center Highway in Bingham Township is being met with considerable concern from neighbors and members of the township planning commission.
Renovations to the Connie Binsfeld Center to accommodate the Leelanau Montessori Public School Academy are right on schedule with a Jan.1, move-in date set.
CUTTING STEEL with an acetylene torch, a worker dismantles an old ski lift at Sugar Loaf Resort last week. Resort owner Jeff Katofksy said earlier this month that none of the lifts at the resort can pass state inspections, and all will be dismantled and removed.
Schaub Team Premier Realty opened an office in Leland last Thursday, Nov. 1
The Schaub Team, comprised of brothers Tim and Roger Schaub and their niece Melanie opened a new brokerage in Sutton Bay in January 2018 at the historic train depot in Suttons Bay.
Two Cedar area groups will host holiday events later this month.
The Catholic Women’s Club at Holy Rosary Church will host its annual Holiday Bazaar in the lower level of the church from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 17 and from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 18.
Halloween Night seemed to go smoothly last week for trick-or-treaters, parents and local law enforcement officials alike.
“There were no problems at all,” reported Sheriff Mike Borkovich. “There were kids and cars all over the place in downtown Suttons Bay, as usual, but Halloween is very well managed these days.”
The Glen Arbor Arts Center (GAAC) will host its next “Talk About Art” program, Sunday, Nov. 11 in Glen Arbor.
The program will answer the question “What is an artist’s residency?” and will be held at 2 p.m. at the GAAC, 6031 S. Lake St., Glen Arbor.
The Glen Lake Community Library in Empire will host child advocate Shenandoah Chefalo next Thursday, Nov. 15.
Chefalo will share her book “Garbage Bag Suitcase,” a memoir of her challenging childhood within the foster care system.
LELAND RESIDENTS Graham Irwin, Fred Heslop and Patrick Suttons, from left, were among the 3,800 cyclist who finished the Iceman Cometh mountain bike race Saturday. The 30-mile course began in Kalkaska and finished at Timber Ridge Resort near Traverse City.
The Elmwood Township Board will discuss a federal lawsuit filed against the township during its rescheduled monthly meeting tonight – but the discussion is likely to be brief.
The National Park Service is investigating the dumping of building refuse on parkland in Benzie County within Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.
Maintenance workers discovered several piles of debris on Sunday, Oct. 28, within park boundaries off Boekeloo Road, in Lake Township, Benzie County.
GUNTHER, THE canine advocate, facility dog with the Leelanau County Prosecutor’s office, visited the Suttons Bay- Leelanau County Rotary Club Thursday with this handler, victim’s assistance coordinator Laurie LaCross.
A 37-year-old Alpena area man was arrested for operating while intoxicated (OWI) after a traffic incident last week in Elmwood Township.
About 1 a.m. Friday morning, a deputy patrolling M-22 near Cedar Cove Road, attempted to stop a 2002 pick-up truck for failing to dim headlights.