Articles on this Page
- 10/10/18--12:19: _Photo
- 10/10/18--12:18: _Facilities master p...
- 10/10/18--12:18: _Glen Arbor Art Cent...
- 10/10/18--12:18: _M22 Art2Art Tour po...
- 10/10/18--12:18: _County Cuisine
- 10/10/18--12:18: _Talk of the County
- 10/10/18--12:18: _Mentors contribute ...
- 10/10/18--12:18: _Deaths recorded in ...
- 10/10/18--12:18: _Marriage license ap...
- 10/10/18--12:18: _Marriages performed
- 10/10/18--12:18: _New assumed names f...
- 10/10/18--12:18: _Soil Erosion Permits
- 10/10/18--12:18: _Real estate transfe...
- 10/10/18--12:18: _Construction Code A...
- 10/10/18--12:18: _Co. budget set, 2019
- 10/10/18--12:18: _Eighth beaver bagged
- 10/10/18--12:18: _Hunters bag birds o...
- 10/10/18--12:18: _Township hires sewe...
- 10/10/18--12:18: _Leland ZA contract ...
- 10/10/18--12:18: _Suttons Bay routs C...
- 10/10/18--12:19: Photo
- 10/10/18--12:18: Facilities master plan in hand at Glen Lake
- 10/10/18--12:18: Glen Arbor Art Center gets grant
- 10/10/18--12:18: M22 Art2Art Tour popular
- 10/10/18--12:18: County Cuisine
- 10/10/18--12:18: Talk of the County
- 10/10/18--12:18: Mentors contribute to student success
- 10/10/18--12:18: Deaths recorded in county
- 10/10/18--12:18: Marriage license applications filed
- 10/10/18--12:18: Marriages performed
- 10/10/18--12:18: New assumed names filed in county
- 10/10/18--12:18: Soil Erosion Permits
- 10/10/18--12:18: Real estate transfers recorded in county
- 10/10/18--12:18: Construction Code Authority
- 10/10/18--12:18: Co. budget set, 2019
- 10/10/18--12:18: Eighth beaver bagged
- 10/10/18--12:18: Hunters bag birds on first day
- 10/10/18--12:18: Township hires sewer contractor
- 10/10/18--12:18: Leland ZA contract changes put on hold
- 10/10/18--12:18: Suttons Bay routs Central Lake
GLEN LAKE and Leland Public School sent representatives last month to the fall conference of the National Association of Federally Impacted Schools. They are pictured here with Senator Debbie Stabenow, one of five elected officials with whom they met to discuss the importance of federal Impact Aid to their schools.
A facilities master plan, which includes a performing arts center and an outdoor locker room for girls, is in the hands of the Glen Lake Board of Education.
Mike Howard of GMB Architects appeared before the school board last month with the findings of a study to identify the immediate and longterm facility needs for the K-12 complex.
Not much going on this time of year, boats and docks coming out of the water and some of the summer homes and cottages are already being winterized.
It appeared that the Endurance Evolution Sleeping Bear Marathon last week was a success because there was a whole lot of people running and participating.
Congratulations to all of the organizers and artists who were part of last weekend’s M22 Art2Art Tour around the county. The event was sponsored by the Suttons Bay Art Festival nonprofit. Donna Popke and Bill Perkins were the co-directors. Northport’s Village Arts Building was one of the four venues, featuring furniture and sculpture.
Strawberries may be out of season but this strawberry cream pie from Chimoski Bakery will never be. This pie might sound familiar as Chimoski Bakery was on TV 29 & 8 Friday September 28 to celebrate National Strawberry Cream Pie day. This recipe provided by Tina Baker of Chimoski Bakery is a scrumptious crowd pleaser. Chimoski Bakery is opened 7 days a week and is located in Suttons Bay.
Name: Eddie Pleva
Town: Kasson Township
Resident of county since: 2001
Age and birthplace: 19, Warren, Mich.
Maybe the Beatles had it right: “I get by with a little help from my friends.” At least that’s what area schools have found is essential for students - only these friends may be considered anything but typical, based on an age gap that may span decades.
Peggy R. Grove, 71, of Solon Township died September 22 in Solon Township
Linda K. Morton, 70, of Leland Township died September 23 in Leland Township
Jeffery S. Morey and Kathleen J. Korson
Michael A. Cline and Jamie M. Blough
Jared T. Pontius and Jillian M. P. Pringle
Natalie A. Schumont and Richard W. Dean
Nicholas T. Lake and Amanda L. McCurdy
Virginia M. Ley and Zachary D. Goodspeed, September 22 in Glen Arbor Township
Kyle R. Biega and Emily J. Bouse, September 22 in Leland
Nancy L. Anderson and Kathleen S. Dinkel, September 28 in Suttons Bay
Amara A. Vogt and Chase W. Beck, September 29 in Suttons Bay
Andrew W. Grant and Katherine A. Zaborowicz, September 29 in Leland
Huntin Cabin Crafts; 12222 E. Tatch Road, Northport – By Kathleen M. Sherman, 12222 E. Tatch Road, Northport.
Under the Son; 5700 S. Hlavka Hills Drive, Maple City – By Linda Fisher, 5700 S. Hlavka Hills Drive, Maple City.
Stephen Palmer – (Self) Excavation for the development of a garden area with retaining wall at 6850 S. Rolling Hills ($140).
September 20, 2018
Levi P. Meeuwenberg to himself and Brenda L. Meeuwenberg, Sections 29 and 32 in Elmwood Township.
Richard J. and Ellen E. Figura to Richard J. Figura and Ellen E. Figura Joint Revocable Trust, Section 18 in Empire Township.
Susanna R. Harju to Susanna R. and Ryan S. Brown, Section 12 in Bingham Township.
Village of Empire
Village of Empire (Empire Business Association) Construct temporary tent for Empire Hops Festival at W. Front Street ($1).
[img_assist|nid=210745|title=|desc= THE OMENA Fire Station has sparkling new facilities. Prior to the regular monthly meeting of the Leelanau Township Board Tuesday, residents and board members celebrate the completion of a months-long project resulting in a new bathroom with a ribbon cutting and ceremonial first flush.
Ron Baker trapped another one.
Baker trapped his eighth beaver of the year, hiding in a homeowner's window well in Suttons Bay.
“The owner tried to draw the beaver out by putting sticks and boards up," Baker said. “Beavers don’t climb very well, so he called the county and they recommended me to come over and get the beaver out.”
Migrating birds are on the move, traveling through Leelanau County.
The birds are migrating down south to find food easier, and hunters such as Chris Butz of Cedar are seeing a ton of birds. Butz is a long time hunter and fisher, and owns his own area for game hunting.
A new contractor has been hired to oversee the Leland Township sewer system.
The Township Board on Monday selected a firm named Infrastructure Alternatives, Inc., (IA) to operate the sewer system. Present operator CH2MOMI is not seeking to renew its contract with the township that ends on Dec. 31. Also submitting a proposal was the civil engineering firm, Wade-Trim.
The task of inserting a conflict of interest clause in the contract of the Leland Township zoning administrator turned into a much more comprehensive process, causing the Township Board to table action on the proposal.
Suttons Bay continues to impress.
A year removed 58-26 loss to Central Lake in regionals, Suttons Bay (6-1, 3-1 Midwest) returned the favor Friday against Central Lake (2-4, 1-3 Midwest) with a 55-6 victory.
Suttons Bay has earned a playoff spot, and will finish off the season with tough matchups against teams like Onekama.