Articles on this Page
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Good job, Empire; l...
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Fundraising begins ...
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Looking Back...
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Lumber boom sparks ...
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Reunion has Mass, m...
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Sneed, Tucker marri...
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Aylsworths married ...
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Northern Distillery...
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Township plans open...
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Suttons Bay Village...
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Village narrows man...
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Village approves $5...
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Bingham hires tree ...
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Magistrate Court
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Arrests follow traf...
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Dispatch Blotter
- 09/19/18--12:23: _County Cuisine
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Talk of the County
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Soil Erosion Permits
- 09/19/18--12:23: _Deaths recorded in ...
- 09/19/18--12:23: Good job, Empire; let’s recall Constitution Day
- 09/19/18--12:23: Fundraising begins for signal towers
- 09/19/18--12:23: Looking Back...
- 09/19/18--12:23: Lumber boom sparks development
- 09/19/18--12:23: Reunion has Mass, meals
- 09/19/18--12:23: Sneed, Tucker married in Traverse City
- 09/19/18--12:23: Aylsworths married 50 years ago
- 09/19/18--12:23: Northern Distillery expanding westward
- 09/19/18--12:23: Township plans open house at Herman Park
- 09/19/18--12:23: Suttons Bay Village needs to update its zoning map
- 09/19/18--12:23: Village narrows manager candidates down to five
- 09/19/18--12:23: Village approves $582k marina project
- 09/19/18--12:23: Bingham hires tree services for storm damage, disease
- 09/19/18--12:23: Magistrate Court
- 09/19/18--12:23: Arrests follow traffic stop, accident
- 09/19/18--12:23: Dispatch Blotter
- 09/19/18--12:23: County Cuisine
- 09/19/18--12:23: Talk of the County
- 09/19/18--12:23: Soil Erosion Permits
- 09/19/18--12:23: Deaths recorded in county
Another week of bonus weather. It was a long, hot summer with a few instances of major rain. It was a great summer and I’m sure everyone enjoyed it.
* * *
By the time this column goes to print, the weather will have cooled down into the 60s, and we may have some rain, if the forecast is right.
5 YEARS AGO September 19, 2013
This is the fourth in a series of articles on the story of Good Harbor, adapted from Good Harbor Michigan: The Story and the People 1850-1931 by Norbert Bufka. The book is available at local bookstores or from the author, www.thisonly.org
The St. Mary Lake Leelanau Class of 1968 celebrated its 50th reunion.
Classmates gathered Saturday afternoon for a tour of St. Mary School, then boated on Lake Leelanau. They followed with dinner at Dick’s Pour House.
On Sunday, class members attended the 11 a.m. Mass. A meal at Boone’s Long Lake Inn followed.
Erin Sneed and Max Tucker, both of Atlanta, Ga., exchanged wedding vows on Aug. 10 at Central United Methodist Church in Traverse City.
The bride is the daughter of Peter and Kris Sneed of Leland. She is a United States probation officer.
The groom is the son of Tom and Sharron Tucker of Morengo, Ill. He is a pilot for Skywest Airlines.
Tom and Kathy Aylsworth of Glen Arbor on Sunday will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.
Tom Aylsworth and the former Kathy Allen exchanged wedding vows on Sept. 23, 1968. The couple met while in high school.
Tom Aylsworth served as prosecutor for Leelanau County from 1988-1996.
Northern Latitude Distillery in Lake Leelanau will soon expand into what was once the visitors center for the Leelanau Peninsula Chamber of Commerce.
Mark and Mandy Moseler are planning to provide a few old bourbon barrels as tables in the expanded area, but plans now are to use the space mostly for merchandising.
Suttons Bay Township has scheduled an open house at Herman Community Park on Oct. 17 to recognize groups and individuals who have contributed to the park’s development.
At its regular monthly meeting last week, the Suttons Bay Township Board agreed to spend up to $300 on refreshments for the event, scheduled from 5-7 p.m.
In the absence of any pressing business, the Village of Suttons Bay Planning Commission met for a scant 31 minutes last week.
The village’s Downtown Development Authority didn’t meet at all.
The Suttons Bay Village Council has narrowed down a search for a new Village Manager. Public interviews of the top five candidates have been set for 4 p.m. Monday.
The Suttons Bay Village Council this week moved forward with a major electrical system upgrade at the village marina in keeping with comprehensive plans approved earlier this year.
In a 6-0 vote, the council approved a $582,442 contract with Waggener Electric of Traverse City to upgrade an electrical system serving docks A, B and C.
Damage from a heavy wind and rain storm that hit Leelanau County late last month prompted action this week by the Bingham Township Board.
The Township Board on Monday evening approved contracts with two tree services to deal with damaged, downed and diseased trees on township property.
Steven C. Copeland, 45, of 2209 Heatherwood, Findlay, Ohio — Operating an unlicensed boat; $95 fines and costs.
A 29-year-old Maple City man was arrested Friday after a single-car rollover accident.
According to the the Leelanau County Sheriff’s Office, deputies along with Cedar Area Fire and Rescue responded to an accident on East Bellinger Road about 9:30 p.m. The accident occurred near the Cedar/ Maple City Lions Club community building.
Wednesday, Sept. 12
8:09 a.m. — Suttons Bay Township — Kayak missing from Vic Steimel Park. Red. Caller had it chained to a tree and now it’s gone.
9:52 a.m. — Leelanau Township — Suspicious incident.
It's stew season once again. Coming to the rescue with an excellent stew is Anderson's Market. The French stew recipe is sure to end with a meal that will warm you up as nights start getting colder. Anderson's Market is open seven days a week with a large range of deli options. All ingredients can be purchased at Anderson's Market in Glen Arbor. While shopping check out their wine selections!
Name: Len “Lippy” Lawson
Resident of county since: 1948
Age and birthplace: 70, Munson Hospital, Traverse City
Village of Empire
Wyman and Maureen Bolton – (Render Construction) Excavation to remove existing home and build new single family home and septic system and patio areas at 11295 S. Lake Michigan Drive ($140).
Village of Suttons Bay
Donald A. Beaudry, 87, of Leelanau Township died September 1 in Leelanau Township
Jane E. Handloser, 78, of Bingham Township died September 7 in Bingham Township
Robert J. Winnie, 97, of Elmwood Township died September 10 in Elmwood Township